Language selection


International Experience Canada: Who can apply

IEC participants: Requirements for travel to Canada

Only IEC participants with a Port of Entry Letter of Introduction and a valid job offer are eligible to travel to Canada right now. You must also be able to start your job as soon as you complete your quarantine. Check the start date on your job offer before you travel.

To learn more about restrictions for travel to Canada and additional testing and quarantine requirements use the Flying to Canada requirements checklist.


To participate

  • your country or territory of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to apply for an IEC work permit or
  • you may be able to use a recognized organization (RO)

You must also meet the eligibility requirements for your country or territory of citizenship and the pool you’re applying for.

Some countries only allow you to participate once. Others allow you to participate twice, but in different pools. Because each country is different, it’s important that you check to see if you’re eligible to apply.

Even if you’re issued an invitation to apply (ITA), you can’t participate more times than your country allows. Make sure you read and understand all the requirements before you submit an application.

Even if you hold a refugee travel document issued by a country that has a youth mobility agreement with Canada, you’re not eligible to participate.


Your dependants aren’t eligible to accompany you to Canada under the IEC program. However, they may apply to visit, study or work in Canada. Your application will be examined separately from theirs.

Find out more about how dependants can come to Canada.

Travel and work experiences

Depending on which country you’re from, you can choose from up to 1, 2 or 3 pools of travel and work experiences.

Working Holiday

Due to current travel restrictions, Working Holiday candidates will have to provide proof of a valid job offer to receive an invitation to apply for the 2021 season.

Fund your vacation with temporary work in Canada.

Normally, this category is for you if

  • you don’t have a job offer (due to current travel restrictions, a valid job offer is required)

This category is also for you if

  • you want to work for more than one employer in Canada
  • you want to work in more than one location
  • you’d like to earn some money so that you can travel

The type of work permit you get for Working Holiday is an open work permit.

An open work permit lets you work at most jobs in Canada. However, there are some jobs where you’ll have to get a medical exam first.

Young Professionals

Gain Canadian professional work experience to better compete in a global economy.

This category is for you if

  • you have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development
  • you’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

Under this category, work must be

  • paid
  • not self-employed

The type of work permit you get in the Young Professionals category is an employer-specific work permit.

Your employer must meet all labour laws in the province or territory you plan to work including meeting minimum wage requirements.

The job you are offered in Canada must be classified as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code Skill Type Level 0, A or B to be considered as contributing to your “professional development.” A NOC C job might be accepted if you can submit a post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree, with your work permit application. Your diploma, certificate or degree must be translated to English or French.

International Co-op (Internship)

Get valuable overseas work experience related to your field of study.

This category is for you if

  • you’re a student registered at a post-secondary institution
  • you have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada
  • you need to do this work placement or internship to complete your studies
  • you’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

The type of work permit you get in the International Co-op (Internship) category is an employer-specific work permit. The internship you are offered in Canada must be directly linked to your field of studies.

Wages must follow the labour laws in the province or territory you will be working in. The labour code of the province or territory will determine if an internship needs to be paid or not.

Employment and labour law standards apply to all foreign nationals in Canada. It is up to the IEC candidates and their Canadian employer to inquire, for their particular case, with the relevant provincial or territorial departments regarding labour standards.

Where are you from?

Note: For Czech nationals applying under International Co-op (Internship), this stream is only available to those currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution and internships in Canada must be paid.

To be eligible for the category, you must:

Note: The cost of living varies depending on where you decide to settle in Canada. Prepare financially by finding out how much it costs to live in the city and province or territory where you plan to stay.

Date modified: