Help Centre what do you need help with?

I have applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?

Yes, you can leave Canada and return, as long as your visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid.

If your visa or eTA is expired, you will have to apply for and receive a new one before you leave.

When you return to Canada:

A border officer will have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. If the officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you will not be able to re-enter Canada.

The officer at the port of entry may ask you for a copy of your extension application, the fee payment receipt, and any other document to prove you applied for an extension.

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: