How can I extend my stay as a visitor?
If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you should apply at least 30 days before your status expires.
For the steps to apply, see How to apply to extend your stay as a visitor. You can also apply online.
Temporary residents currently in Canada with a valid study or work permit must submit their application for a new temporary resident visa to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPC-O), or visa office that serves their country of nationality.
- If your temporary resident status expires after you have submitted your application for an extension but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what’s called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. That status lasts until Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) decides on your new permit application.
- If you have a single-entry visa this allows you to enter Canada once. If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada, unless you visit the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon. If you visit those places, you can return to Canada without a new visa, as long as you:
- return within the period that the Canadian immigration officer initially authorized when you first entered Canada (on your visa, it is either a handwritten date or 6 months from the date of the entry stamp); or
- have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit or temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry), and return within the period that the officer initially authorized.
See also How can I extend my stay as worker? and How can I extend my stay as a student?
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out an application?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is my client ID?
- How can I come to Canada as a visitor, worker or student?
- How do I submit my application?
- What do you mean by surname?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
Form and guide
- Date Modified: